Best crystal cat litter. Litter is an essential part of a cat’s lifestyle. It comes in different forms. Cat litter vary due to the different raw materials used in manufacturing them. Most cat litter types are made from clay. Other litters include, wood, paper, corn and silica. The materials in the litter determines how it functions.
Crystal cat litter is made of silica gel crystals. These crystals contain sodium silicate. Like other litter, it can absorb cat feces and urine. But what makes crystal cat litter special than other types? Below is a summation to the answer.
- The ability to absorb cat urine and feces
- Free of unpleasant smell
- Being eco-friendly
- Comfortable for the cat
- Easy to use and dispose
What are the best crystal cat litter types? Here are some brands that work the best.
- PetSafe ScoopFree Premium Non Clumping
- Litter Pearls Micro Non-Clumping
- Ultra Micro Non-Clumping
- PetSafe ScoopFree Non-Clumping
- Ultra Pet Clumping
It is important to choose a budget friendly litter for your furry friend. But what should you know about this kitty supply? Let’s look at everything you need to know to buy the bestir you kitty.
- Pros and cons of crystal cat litter
- How to reuse crystal cat litter
- PetSafe ScoopFree premium crystal non clumping cat litter
- Crystal cat litter safety
- How to use crystal cat litter
- Clumping crystal cat litter
- Best cat litter
Pros and cons of crystal cat litter
Crystal cat litter looks like crystals you’d find in a ‘do not eat’ packet. Yet, it is not poisonous to cats and humans. They are quick to absorb and work well as litter. But there are differences between them and other types of litter. These differences are present because of the sodium silicate crystals.
- They weigh less
- In fact, it is lighter than other litter types.
- Imagine having to lift the heavy litter box everyday to empty the clay litter? As a cat-parent, you’d develop a greater risk of getting back pain.
- Especially, they function well as litter and is user-friendly.
- They are easy to carry and dispose.
2. Absorbs more
- While being lighter, this absorbs more.
- They can absorb more cat urine and feces.
- There are little holes in these silicate solids. These holes can absorb moisture faster.
- Thus, it absorbs more urine.
3. Less odor
- Since it absorbs more urine than clay based litter, odor is lesser.
- The unpleasant odor you get from litter is due to the unabsorbed urine.
- Thus, crystal cat litter doesn’t smell bad as other types.
4. Less dust
- Dust is a major issue when it comes to cat litter.
- Clay based cat litter leaves more dust.
- Dust can be harmful to both cats and humans.
- If someone at your place has asthma, dust from litter will worsen their condition.
- It is dust-free.
- Despite that, some will leave a slight dust.
- So, you won’t be wasting hours cleaning the household because of the dust left by the litter box. Also, your furry friend won’t get dirty because of the dust.
- Thus, this type of kitty supply is easy to maintain.
- It will not untidy the household.
- Crystal cat litter leaves less tracking.
- Less tracking signals to less litter in the house. I
- t will easy to clean and maintain litter indoors.
- Clay-based litter is the worst when it comes to tracking. For hardly any tracking, be sure to use the clumping type.
6. Less bacteria
- Bacteria grow less on the silica sand when compared to other materials.
- Thus, the tendency to get feline infections is lower.
7. Environmental friendly
- Most clay based litter may contain more toxic chemicals.
- Silica is environmental friendly and bio-degradable.
- They do not contain any toxic chemicals.
8. Easy to dispose
- Cat-parents can scoop out the clumps into the waste bin.
- Some crystal cat litters are flushable.
- Thus, it makes it easy to dispose and clean.
Even the best crystal cat litter has drawbacks. Let’s look at how bad these drawbacks can be.
- May form urine pools
- When holes in silicate crystals get saturated, they can’t absorb more urine.
- Likewise, urine will be left unabsorbed.
- This will leave cat urine in the cat litter box.
2. Cats tend to eat crystals
- Kittens and other cats can end up gulping down these silicate crystals.
- This will result in severe health conditions and can even lead to death.
3. They won’t clump
- Although clumping, they won’t form clumps like clay based litter.
- It will be hard to remove because they won’t from clumps.
- Thus, when cleaning the litter, the whole litter box should be emptied.
- Scooping clumps might be easier for the cat-parent.
- But it will be difficult to empty the litter box daily when using them.
4. Will hurt your feet
- These sodium silicate crystals are sharp and hard.
- Do not step on these crystals for it will result in injury.
Accordingly, consider all the pros and cons before you actually buy them.
How to reuse crystal cat litter
Can you wash crystal cat litter and reuse them again? No, it is not possible. But used ones can be reused for other purposes. Reusing these kitty wastes is a good decision to make. Let’s look at how and where these used wastes will make good use.
- Spread them on holes in your garden
- Don’t use them near the plants you grow for food
Crystal cat litter might contain infectious parasites like Toxoplasma. The parasite can spread fatal diseases to humans. Thus, it is important to dispose crystal cat litter away from the vegetable nurseries.
- Use them to absorb oil leakages
- Spread on poison ivy to end their growth
There are many advantages of reusing crystal cat litter. But it is better to dispose them directly after using. What is the correct way of disposing crystal cat litter ?
- Scoop them into bags.
- Dispose them into the trash cans.
- Avoid flushing the silicate clumps. It can clog the sewage systems.
PetSafe ScoopFree premium crystal non clumping cat litter
This is a commercial brand that supplies cat litter and litter boxes. PetSafe ScoopFree premium crystal non clumping cat litter is one such product. What is the speciality of this specific cat litter?
- Absorbs 5 times faster than clay litter
- Comes in smaller portions. It is easy to use.
- Fits in any litter box
- Free of bad odor
- Leaves less mess
- Comes in different scents. Scents include lavender.
PetSafe ScoopFree premium crystal non clumping cat litter comes in three types. They are;
- Lavender scented
The above features are of the ordinary product. Other than that, lavender scent is soothing for the kitty. If your furry friend is sensitive to dyes and scents, then ‘sensitive’ type of litter is ideal. The Sensitive Cat litter product of PetSafe has the following benefits;
- Free from dyes
- Free from fragrance
- Doesn’t cause allergic reactions in cats and humans
- Although unscented, doesn’t give out an odor
- Absorbs well
Cat litter is not the only product of PetSafe. Cat litter boxes from PetSafe are also popular among cat-parents. Some best rated PetSafe litter boxes are;
- ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Litter Box, Second Generation
- ScoopFree Smart Self-Cleaning Litter Box
- ScoopFree Top-Entry Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box
- ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box
- ScoopFree Original Self-Cleaning Litter Box
Other than that, PetSafe also provides fences, harnesses and leashes. You could find the best crystal cat litter from the brand PetSafe.
Crystal cat litter safety
Is silicate safe for your cat? Is it safe for the rest of the human family? It is important to sort out these questions before you fill up the litter box with silicate crystals.
- If eaten, it will be fatal
- The silicate present in crystal cat litter is the same found in ‘Do not eat’ packets.
- Moreover, when swallowed, these silicate crystals will give out unhealthy results.
- If your kitty eats them, she will face fatal circumstances.
- Also, if toddlers are present in the household, make sure they are kept away from the litter.
- Silica sand is toxic to both humans and cats.
2. Silicosis for your cat and yourself
- The micro silicate particles will get inside the lungs of your cat.
- Or you might end up inhaling them.
- Whoever inhales them, these silicate parts will give you silicosis.
- Silicosis is a severe disorder related to the respiratory tract.
- Thus, be careful when using them. Make sure it is 100 percent dust-free.
3. Silicate is a carcinogen
- A carcinogen is a substance that has the ability to create cancers in living tissue.
- Some experts say that the silicon present this kitty supply is a carcinogen to humans.
- Breathing crystalline silicate particles will create cancers in the lung tissue of humans.
- So make sure to think about the dangers before you buy them.
How to use crystal cat litter
- Know how much to use
- It is advised to use this enough to fill a depth of 1.5 to 2 inches in a litter box.
- Use this specific amount so that urine doesn’t pool up in the litter box.
2. Scoop out solid waste daily
- If it is non-clumping, be sure to scoop out solid waste daily.
- Even if its clumping, scooping solid waste is better for your kitty.
3. Know when it is saturated
- The silicate particles may end up saturated with urine.
- Be sure to check on the status of these crystals once in a while.
- If they appear to be yellow in color, then the litter is saturated.
- When removing the saturated litter, be sure to empty the whole litter box.
4. Always mix it up
- There might be some crystals that are not saturated.
- So to make the litter long lasting, mix the silicate crystals.
- This way, all the crystals will end up absorbing.
5. Clean and change
- After emptying the litter box, be sure to clean up.
- The litter box should be washed.
- After washing, dry the litter box.
- Then add more crystal litter to the given height.
- Change the litter when it can no longer absorb.
- Some litter types will last longer than others. Yet, it all depends on how much is being absorbed.
Clumping crystal cat litter
There are different clumping cat litter types. Among them, crystal cat litter also comes as clumping. Yet, it hardly clumps like the clay based litter would. They form less clumps. All crystal cat litter are in fact; non clumping.
Yet, there are silicate products that clump more than the non-clumping ones. If your kitty loves the feeling of silica sand clumps, these will be the best choice.
- Ultra Pet Clumping
- So Phresh Scoopable Odor-Lock Clumping
Best cat litter
What makes the best cat litter? The answer differs from person to person. The best cat litter is what’s best for your furry friend. As a matter of fact, your furry friend is the one to judge the litter.
- What’s the litter made of ?
- Decide which litter is best for your cat.
- If clay is better than silicate, then don’t hesitate on buying that.
2. Consider the health of the cat
- Make sure what you are buying is healthy for your furry friend.
- And be aware of the health of the family members too.
3. Does it function well ?
- Make sure the litter absorbs cat urine and feces well.
- Check if it leaves dust and is non-toxic.
- Educate yourself about maintaining the litter.
Different brands have promoted their litters as the best cat litter. But always look into what you want before buying the best litter that they promote. Always look in for a litter that is eco-friendly.
There are many benefits of using this type of kitty litter. But remember if these benefits are what you need for your cat and household. Pay attention to your kitty before buying crystal cat litter.
Different companies sell the best products. It is important to read the ingredient list and the instructions before usage. Some product’s name might be ‘Flushable cat litter’. Yet they will instruct on avoiding flushing them.
Yet, this is a good type of cat litter. It absorbs more, leaves less dust and non-tracking. Yet, they do not clump. Consider all the pros and cons of this litter before using. Ask a vet for advice. If your cat has asthma or any respiratory disease, avoid silicate at all costs.
Make sure you get them the best ones. Make sure they love the feeling of the silica sand. Always remember that your furry friend’s health is a matter to conserve.
Best flushable cat litter. Click here to find out more.