Humans have a variety of foods they consume. On average, there are many fruits humans love. But is feeding them to your furry friends at home healthy? Can cats eat the different types of fruits we eat? Can cats eat cherries? Or are they toxic to these felines?
Cherries are juicy fruits that we eat in different ways. For instance, you’d eat cherries alone. Or cherries would decorate cakes. Sometimes different products come in the exclusive cherry flavor. Basically, cherries are something anyone would love to see and eat.
Yet, the cherry fruit contains cyanide. Cyanide can lower the amount of oxygen in blood. Thus, it will lead to suffocation and loss of oxygen.
So if cherries are not poisonous for humans, what about cats? Can cats eat cherries? The answer is no.
Why are cherries unhealthy for cats?
- Humans can eat cherries. The little dosage of cyanide in cherries are not poisonous to the human body.
- In fact, small doses of cyanide converts to vitamin B in the human body. So it’s not harmful.
- Yet, this doesn’t happen in the body of felines.
- Cherry fruits can cause cyanide poisoning in felines.
- The whole cherry plant is toxic to cats.
- In fact, even leaves, stems and blossoms of the cherry plant is harmful for cats.
- So prevent your furry friends eating any part of the cherry plant.
- Cherries can cause certain symptoms in cats if they eat them.
- These symptoms are similar to that of cyanide symptoms.
- If you didn’t see your cat eating cherries, watch out fo the symptoms.
Symptoms in cats after eating cherries
- Felines may gasp out fo air. Cyanide may cause a deficiency in blood oxygen level.
- Panting may occur.
- Their pupils will become dilated than usual.
- Cats will experience sudden shock.
- They would vomit and have indigestion.
- High dosage of cyanide can even be fatal.
What to do if your cat eats a cherry?
- On most occasions, cats won’t get cyanide poisoning if it eats one cherry.
- But, it is not advisable to feed them cherries.
- However, if they end up eating, observe for related symptoms.
- Or if not immediately get them to a veterinarian.
- The vet will do a blood test and provide them with oxygen.
- Cherries are fruits that are rich in antioxidants.
- These antioxidants are healthy for cats.
- But cats eating cherries will not be healthy.
- What fruits can cats eat
- Can cats eat cheese
- Can cats eat watermelon
- Can cats eat strawberries
- Can cats eat grapes
- Can cats eat cherries without seeds
- Can cats eat cherry yoghurt
- Can cats eat cheerios
What fruits can cats eat
Cats are not herbivores. In fact cats are carnivorous predators in the wild. But, after domestication of felines, their digestive system have adapted to plants. Here’s a list of fruits you can give to your furry friend to satisfy their appetite.
- Don’t be hesitant to feed banana for your cat.
- Bananas are high in fibre that is essential for cats.
- They are rich in vitamin B and vitamin C.
- It gives the potassium intake necessary for the cat’s bodily functions.
- This will support the proper functions or the urinary system in cats.
- But be sure to feed banana in smaller quantities.
- The high sugar content in banana is not healthy for your feline.
- Apples are rich in vitamin A and vitamin C.
- Also, they contain a high amount of fibre.
- Before feeding, peel the apple well.
- And also refrain from feeding the seeds of the apple.
- Apple seeds are highly toxic to cats.
- It is because the seeds contain cyanide.
- Cats who eat apple seeds can go through cyanide poisoning.
- Mangos are fibre rich fruits.
- Fibre promotes the overall functioning of the digestive system of felines.
- So, mangos are healthy for your cat.
- But avoid feeding them the seed.
- Like apples, the seed of mangos contains cyanide and is toxic.
- So make sure you feed only the flesh of the mango to your cat.
- Raspberries are high in vitamins and antioxidants.
- Be sure to feed them little portions.
- Vitamins are rich in vitamins A and vitamin C.
- It is also high in fructose.
- Don’t give too much pineapple per serving as it is high in fructose.
- Only feed them the flesh of the pineapple.
- Cantaloupes are favorites of furry friends.
- They give out a smell that is similar to that of meat.
- Furthermore, cantaloupes are rich in fibre, vitamin C and fibre.
- Also it is a source of antioxidants that are necessary for the metabolism in a cat’s body.
- Only the flesh of an avocado is safe for a cat to eat.
- The leaves and skin contain toxic chemicals that are harmful for your cat.
- Like most berries, blueberries are rich in vitamin C.
- They are also good sources of minerals like potassium.
- It promotes the night vision of felines.
- Blueberries are good for cats with disorders related to urinary tract.
- Thus, adding some blueberries to your cat’s diet is healthy.
- Strawberries are fruits that will restore a good health in your cat.
- They are rich in vitamins and minerals.
- But it is not healthy to feed them in larger amounts.
- Be sure to cut down the strawberries into little pieces before feeding.
- Watermelons are excellent to provide hydration to a dehydrated cat.
- Most of the watermelon flesh contains water.
- If your cat is not drinking enough water, try giving her a watermelon.
- But don’t feed them the seeds as it can make indigestion.
- Apricots are also good for cats in smaller amounts.
- Also, avoid giving them any other part of the plant except for the flesh.
- Peaches are fruits with high amounts of vitamin A.
- But be careful when feeding these.
- The skin of the fruit is toxic to cats.
- Also, give them smaller pieces without the whole fruit at a time.
- These berries are high in vitamin C.
- They also contain minerals like potassium.
- Cranberries will help heal disorders related to the urinary system.
- Pears are high in vitamins A and C.
- Also they have a considerable amount of fibre.
- Yet, like apple and mango seeds, pear seeds contain cyanide.
- Don’t allow your kitty to bite the pear core as it may result in cyanide poisoning.
Fruits cats should eat in smaller amounts
However, some fruits are healthy for felines under some conditions. That is they should eat these fruits in smaller amounts once a time. If cats eat the whole fruits, certain health complications may occur. Certain chemicals in such fruits are poisonous in larger amounts for felines.
Some examples for such fruits are;
Tips to feed fruits to cats
- All cats do not have a liking for fruits.
- So it is better to make sure they enjoy eating fruits.
- Make sure the fruits you are feeding them are fresh and not rotten.
- Rotten fruits are unhealthy for your cats.
- Fruits which are canned are not good too.
- Always feed them fresh pesticide-free fruits.
- Peel off the skin of the fruit before feeding.
- Avoid feeding the core and seeds of the fruit.
- If your cat doesn’t have a sweet tooth, don’t force them to eat them.
Can cats eat cheese
The digestive systems of cats function well when they eat meat. Meat supple the necessary protein content to cats. Diary products such as cheese are also rich in proteins. Yet, it is not safe to feed cheese to your furry friend.
Can cats eat cheese? No.
Reasons to not feed cheese to your cats
- The enzyme ‘lactase’ is responsible for the digestion of diary products like cheese.
- The lactase enzymes breaks down lactose sugar present in cheese.
- However, the digestive systems of felines do not have lactase enzyme.
- Thus, cheese digestion will not take place in a cat’s digestive system.
- Cheese can worsen or create gastrointestinal disorders in cats.
- Moreover, cheese can make your cat sick.
- They would even end up vomiting or with stomachaches.
- Not only that, cheese can also trigger constipation and diarrhea.
- Any types of cheese is unhealthy for cats.
- Thus, avoid feeding cats any diary products.
- Don’t even give them milk. This will cause health problems related to digestive tract.
Can cats eat watermelon
Yes! It is totally safe to give watermelon for your furry friend. Watermelons are juicy and hydrating fruits.
Advantages of feeding watermelon for cats
- Watermelons contain a very high percentage of water. Thus, watermelons will provide good hydration for your kitty.
- Also, they have an array of vitamins like A, C and B6. These vitamins are beneficial for your cat’s health.
- Watermelons also contain fibre. Fibre eases the bulk flow of food inside the digestive tract. It can also treat constipation and diarrhea.
How to feed watermelon for cats
- Remove the seeds before feeding watermelon. Like most fruit seeds, watermelon seeds contain cyanide which is toxic to cats.
- Even if your cat bites on watermelon seeds, it will be toxic.
- If your cat has diabetes, don’t feed too much watermelon. Because, this fruit has a high sugar content as well.
- Cut the watermelon into smaller pieces before feeding them.
- Always make sure that your cat has an appetite for watermelon.
Can cats eat strawberries
- Strawberries are great for the diet of any cat! These berries are safe to eat like blueberries, cranberries and raspberries.
- These crimson red berries have vitamin C and folic acid.
- They also contain minerals like potassium which is healthy for cats.
- But strawberries have a high sugar content.
- A cat’s digestive system doesn’t digest sugars properly.
- So, don’t add strawberries to your cat’s meal on a regular basis.
- It is also important to feed only the berries of this plant.
- Don’t give too many strawberries at once. This will cause indigestion and gastrointestinal disorders.
Can cats eat grapes
Don’t ever feed your cats with grapes! Grapes and other raisins are not at all healthy for your furry friends.
What will happen if your cat eats grapes?
- Grapes are toxic to a cat’s urinary system including the kidneys.
- Grape can cause temporary kidney failure in cats.
- Mostly, after a cat nibbles on grapes, severe symptoms may occur.
- These symptoms include lethargy, abdominal pain and vomiting.
- This can even lead to serious complications like acute renal failure.
- This might not happen if your cat eats a single grape. But don’t risk your cat’s health by giving them grapes and other raisins.
Can cats eat cherries without seeds
The seed of the cherry fruit have cyanide. Not only the seed, the flesh of the cherry fruits also have cyanide. Cyanide is highly poisonous for cats. If so, can cats eat cherries without seeds?
With or without seeds, cherries are not safe for a cat’s health. Even if you give your cat only seedless cherries, it will only do harm.
If cats eat cherries without seeds, they might get cyanide poisoning symptoms. These symptoms are;
- Dilated pupils
- Panting and difficulty in breathing
- Sudden shock
- Sudden death
Thus, don’t feed any part of the cherry plant. Most of cherry plant leaves contain a high amount of cyanide as well as the cherry fruit.
Can cats eat cherry yogurt
Can cats eat yogurt ?
- Yogurt is safe for cats.
- Plain yogurt is rich in probiotics which is really healthy for a cat’s body.
- Cats become lactose intolerant as they age.
- So, it is not safe to give yogurt for cats in large amounts.
- It is important to check the ingredient list of the yogurt before feeding them.
- So, can cats eat cherry yogurt? Certainly, not. Why?
- Cherries are toxic to cats.
- Yogurt which has a cherry flavor are not good for cats either.
- We won’t be able to know if the yogurt has real cherries or an artificial flavor. So it is best to not feed them cherry yogurt.
- As a responsible cat parent, only feed them plain yogurt. Flavored yogurt might turn toxic to most felines.
Can cats eat cheerios
Cheerios are not good for cats. So don’t give them cheerios.
Why can’t cats eat cheerios ?
- Regular cheerios only provide fibre. Otherwise, cheerios does nothing healthy for a cat.
- Cheerios come in different flavors. These flavors are not healthy for cats.
- Cheerios are not toxic for cats. But they do not digest well in a cat’s digestive system.
- Giving cheerios regularly can cause gastrointestinal problems in cats.
Cats are born to feed on prey. So most fruits are not safe for cats. On the other hand, fruits also provide an array of vitamins and minerals needed for a cat. The fibre present in fruits are essential for the proper function of digestion.
Can cats eat cherries?No. Other than cherries, grapes and raisins are toxic to cats. Also, don’t give citrus fruits as they are also toxic.
It is important to be responsible when feeding your furry friends. Make sure you give food that makes them healthy on the long run. Even if a cat eating a cherry might seem adorable, don’t risk your their health. After all, health is wealth.
Male vs female cats, interested to learn more. Click here