Can cats eat corn ? Most people enjoy eating corn in various forms. It is a staple diet in many countries in the world. Have you seen your cat starring at you, when you have a snack made of corn, even begging you to give them some ?
Can cats eat corn ? Cats can eat corn in moderation. However, certain precautions and restrictions have to be taken when feeding corn and some corn based products to a cat.
Let’s find out what these precautions and restrictions are.
- What’s corn?
- Can cats eat corn?
- Are cats allergic to corn?
- Can cats eat corn husks?
- Can cats eat corn cobs?
- Can cats eat corn chips?
- Can cats eat tortillas?
- Can cats eat cornmeal?
- Can cats eat popcorn?
- Can cats eat rice?
- Can cats eat carrots?
- Can cats eat tomatoes?
What’s corn ?
Corn, which is scientifically known as Zea mays, is also known as Indian corn or maize. It is a cereal plant of the grass family whose grain is edible.
This crop originated in Mexico and is a widely distributed food crop in the world. Corn is used as human food, livestock feed, biofuel and also as a raw material in industry.
Corn is gluten free and compared with other cereals has low nutritional value. The protein is of low quality and deficient in niacin. It is a good source of fiber and rich in vitamin C, magnesium, vitamin B and carotenoids and is also high in carbohydrates.
Corn can be eaten in various ways such as sweet corn or baby corn, or as a cereal grain which can be cooked or ground. This is then used to make corn meal, corn bread, porridge, polenta, tamales, tortillas, tacos etc.
Can cats eat corn ?
The short digestive system of a cat is designed to process meat easily, so that they can accommodate a diet rich in animal protein and less carbohydrates.
Cats need proteins as they are unable to produce most of the essential amino acids within their body. Some external source rich in animal proteins is thus essential in a cat’s diet.
Deficiencies in certain types of amino acids can lead to serious health problems.
The protein found in corn is plant based and does not have the amino acids required by a cat. The digestibility of carbohydrates by a cat is rather less. A natural sugar found in corn can make it hard for cats to digest it as well.
Corn is also supposed to contribute to obesity and also cause digestive disorders. It can also cause diabetes in cats. This can happen only if your cat eats large amount of corn.
Cats can eat corn, but it does not provide them with the nutrients needed by a cat. Feeding cats, a small amount of corn occasionally is not harmful as long as they are not allergic to it.
Some cats might seem to like corn, but itshould not be given in excess. Excessive amounts can cause indigestion, stomach upsets, diarrhea and even vomiting.
Some commercial cat food also contain corn as fillers. This is not used for their nutritional value, but because they are cheaper than animal muscle meat. If they have high amounts of corn, then they are most likely to be low quality cat food.
Avoid giving commercial cat food that contains high amounts of corn to your cat. Kittens should not be given corn as they can have digestive problems if consumed.
Corn can have small benefits to a cat, like the high fiber content which can help in digestion. It also contains some vitamins and minerals beneficial to a cat.
It can also improve their coat health. However, the benefits can seem small when compared to the adverse effects, especially if it has to be consumed in large amounts to gain these benefits.
When feeding corn to your cats, make sure to boil it first as it is hard and can cause choking problems as well as digestive problems. Do not add any salt or seasoning as these can be toxic to your pet.
Are cats allergic to corn ?
- Corn is one of the most common allergens for a cat.
- If you are feeding corn to your cat for the first time, give them a small amount and wait to see if they show any allergic reactions.
- Symptoms of an allergic reaction are itchy, irritated skin, sneezing, wheezing and coughing.
- About 10% – 15% of affected cats will show symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea which are gastrointestinal symptoms.
- Visit your vet if your cat shows these symptoms after eating corn.
- Avoid including corn or food products containing corn in your cat’s diet in future.
Can cats eat corn husks ?
- Some cats might love corn husks and other parts of the corn plant due to some reason.
- However, it is not safe to let cats eat these stuff.
- Although they are not poisonous, certain problems like vomiting, drooling, loss of appetite and diarrhea can occur, as these plant parts are not easily digestible.
- Intestinal blockage can also occur.
Can cats eat corn cobs ?
- Although a cat eating corn on the cob can be amusing, it is not wise to allow them to eat it so.
- Give a small portion so that they won’t eat too much and also not choke on the cob.
- It should also not be salted or have any other seasoning such as garlic or onions added, as these can be toxic and also cause sodium poisoning.
- Also, do not add butter as these can cause obesity and also diarrhea as cats are lactose intolerant.
Can cats eat corn chips ?
- Corn chips contain fat, salt, spices, artificial colors and flavorings.
- All these stuff should never be eaten by a cat.
- These can cause stomach upsets and sometimes serious cases like sodium poisoning, anemia etc.
Can cats eat tortillas ?
- Tortilla is a type of bread made using corn.
- Any type of bread should be avoided by cats.
- They contain high contents of carbohydrates and less protein.
- Tortillas don’t have the same type of gluten as other types of bread.
- A small amount of unseasoned tortilla won’t harm your cat.
- However, better avoid giving them as snacks to your pet.
Can cats eat corn meal ?
- Corn meal itself is not harmful to a cat.
- However, other ingredients used such as fat, salt and seasoning can be harmful to a cat.
- So avoid giving snacks made of corn meal to your cat.
Can cats eat popcorn ?
- Many cats, just like most humans, love popcorn.
- You may find your cat wanting to share your popcorn when watching a movie.
- It is just not tasty, but cats also love to play with them.
- Health wise, the nutritional benefits are even lower than corn.
- Plain, popped corn is not harmful to a cat. A few pieces are not a problem.
- But remember to avoid giving ones with salt, butter and other flavorings to your cat.
- These ingredients can harm cats.
- Unpopped kernels can also become a choking hazard as well as damage your cat’s teeth.
Can cats eat rice ?
- Rice contains a lot of carbohydrates.
- A cat’s digestive system is unable to handle large amounts of carbohydrates.
- Rice is also plant based which is also not handled well by a cat’s digestive system, which is designed to process meat.
- Cats can eat rice in small amounts.
- Although it is not toxic to cats, the health benefits are not much either.
- Brown rice, which is high in fiber can help constipated cats.
- The rice should be thoroughly cooked before giving to a cat.
- Remember to give rice in small amounts occasionally, as too much of it can cause obesity as well as diabetes in cats.
Can cats eat carrots ?
- Carrots are safe for cats to eat and also contain some essential vitamins and minerals to cats.
- Vitamin A, which is an essential vitamin to cats, can be found in carrots.
- It also contains a lot of fiber.
- Carrots are considered a healthy and safe snack for cats.
- However, it should be given in moderation.
- Avoid giving raw carrots as they can be choking hazards due to their hard and rigid nature.
- Give them small amounts of cooked carrot. Be sure to cut them into little pieces before feeding your cat.
Can cats eat tomatoes ?
- Unripe tomatoes, stems and leaves of the tomato plant can be toxic to cats.
- This is because these plant parts contain solanine, which is harmful to cats.
- If these parts are ingested, cats can undergo stomach issues, lethargy, slower heart rate and even death.
- However, ripe tomato is safe for cats to eat since the amount of solanin is trace when tomato ripens.
- Tomatoes are rich in vitamin C, potassium and fiber which are essential to cats.
- These can also be obtained from other sources if you are in doubt about the safety of tomatoes to cats.
- Tomatoes are also acidic, which might not be tolerated by some cats.
- It is not just the fruit, tomato based products such as tomato sauce, ketchup, etc. can be harmful due to the other ingredients contained in them.
- If your cat is not having health complications, an unseasoned, fresh ripe tomato in moderate amounts is not a big problem to feed your cat.
- Feed them some other healthy snack if in doubt.
- Consult your vet if any complications arise or if you are in doubt.
Can cats eat corn ? Yes, in moderate amounts and occasionally. Since corn is a plant based grain with high carbohydrates, it should not be given in excess.
Cats have digestive systems evolved to digest meat protein and less carbohydrates. So stick to their original meat based diets.
Giving them these corn snacks in the form of boiled, unsalted, unseasoned corn without butter once in a while is not an issue, as long as the cat is not allergic to corn.
If your cat shows any signs of allergic reactions, visit your vet immediately for treatment, and never feed your cat again with corn.
Remember, cats are not supposed to eat most human food. Feed them what they are supposed to eat so that you can enjoy longer and healthier company of your furry friends!
Interested in finding whether can cats eat cake? Click here to learn more.