Harry potter cat names. Where do cats come in with witches and wizards? Typically, witches are depicted as old ladies on broomsticks living with a cat!
However, this concept changed with the world of Harry Potter. There are young and old witches and wizards leading lives using magic and living with magical creatures.
Do you like to name your cats after a Harry potter character? Harry potter cat names are popular among potter fans and can actually be really nice names for cats.
Harry potter cat names can give a magical touch to your cat! Let’s take a look at some of these names and see if they fit your cat.
- Harry Potter tit bits
- Why name your cat with Harry Potter cat names?
- Cats in Harry Potter
- Boy cat names
- Girl cat names
- Magical Harry Potter creature cat names
- Cat names inspired by spells
- Cat names inspired by actors in Harry potter films
- Fantastic beasts cat names
Harry Potter tit bits
Harry Potter is a series of fantasy novels by the British author J.K. Rowling. The series comprises of seven books that chronicles around a young wizard called Harry Potter and his friends Ron Weasely and Hermione Granger.
All three attend the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The main plot revolves around how Harry and his friends try to stop the dark wizard, Lord Voldemort from destroying their current magical world.
The first novel, ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s stone’, was released on 26th June 1997 and the series has become immensely popular ever since, attracting both adult and young readers.
The series is considered the best-selling book series in history and has been translated into eighty languages. These books were also adapted into films. The initial series has expanded into other works such as the Fantastic Beasts series.
The world of Harry Potter or Potter verse has given rise to many sub cultures that most people embrace with interest.
Why name your cat with Harry Potter cat names ?
Naming a cat with a suitable name can be difficult to some cat owners. Everyone wants to give their fur balls a good name that they can actually call out in public!
You should also like the name well enough to use for may be ten to fifteen years too!
The Harry Potter series contains lots of interesting names that you can pick for your kitty cat. Some of these names might actually depict your cat’s personality.
Cats in Harry Potter
There are several cats depicted in the Harry Potter series. Some of these might not be real cats but people transfigured as ones. Here’s a list of 5 Harry Potter cats.
- This is Hermione’s squash-faced, bowlegged ginger cat.
- It is an intelligent half-kneazle who is the perfect companion for a night by the fire in the Gryffindor common room.
2. Minerva McGonagall
- She is the Professor of Transfiguration at Hogwarts.
- Her animagus happens to be a silver tabby.
3. Mrs. Figg’s cats
- Mrs. Figg is a squib who keeps in touch with the magical world by breeding kneazles.
- These are magical cat like creatures with high intelligence and the ability to identify suspicious occurrences.
- This cat menagerie comprises of Mr. Tibbles, Snowy, Tufty and Mr. Paws.
4. Mrs. Norris
- This is the caretaker Filch’s skeletal gray cat.
- She shoots sly glares at misbehaving students.
- Her most exciting adventure is being petrified by the Basilisk.
5. Millicent Bulstrode’s cat
- A case of mistaken identity arises when Hermione concocts a polyjuice potion with the cat’s hair, assuming it to be that of the Slytherin student.
- She turns herself temporarily into a cat-human hybrid.
See any interesting names for your cat in this list? If not here’s some more to name your furry pal.
Boy cat names
These Harry Potter cat names can give a magical air to your male cat.
- Alastor– Alastor Moody or Mad-Eye Moody is a retired Auror and member of the order of the Phoenix.
- Albus– The Headmaster of Hogwarts, Albus Dumbledore.
- Amos-Amos Diggory who works for the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures.
- Augustus– The Death Eater and spy, Augustus Rockwood.
- Argus– The Squib caretaker of Hogwarts, Argus Filch.
- Barty– Bartemius Couch Jr is the death eater who facilitated the return of Lord Voldemort.
- Cormac– The Gryffindor student in love with Hermione is Cormac McLaggen.
- Diggory– The Hufflepuff student, Quidditch Seeker and Captain, Cedric Diggory.
- Dirk– Muggle-born head of the Goblin Liaison Office, Dirk Cresswell.
- Dobby– The loyal house elf.
- Draco– Draco Malfoy is a Slytherin student and Quidditch seeker.
- Ernie– Ernie Macmillan is a Hufflepuff student who is also a member of Dumbledore’s Army.
- Errol– The owl of the Weasley family.
- Fang– Hagrid’s Boarhound
- Fawkes– Dumbledore’s phoenix.
- Fudge– CorneliusFudge is the Minister of Magic.
- Gryffindor/Gryff- One of the four Houses at Hogwarts.
- Hagrid– Rubeus Hagrid is the half-giant keeper of keys and grounds at Hogwarts.
- Harry– The main character of the series, Harry Potter.
- Hedwig– Harry Potter’s owl.
- Horace– potions professor at Hogwarts and head of Slytherin House, Horace Slughorn.
- Igor– Igor Karkaroff is a reformed death eater, who is the headmaster of Durmstang.
- Kingsley– Auror and Minister of Magic, Kingsley Shacklebolt.
- Lucius– Draco’s father and death eater, Lucius Malfoy.
- Ludo– Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports, Ludo Bagman.
- Lupin– Remus Lupin is a werewolf who is also Harry’s former teacher.
- Neville– Neville Longbottom is a Gryffindor student and a member of Dumbledore’s Army.
- Norbert– Hagrid’s pet dragon
- Padfoot– Sirius’s marauder name
- Percy– Percy Weasley is a Gryffindor prefect and head boy, Quidditch Keeper.
- Potter– Surname of the main character Harry.
- Ravenclaw– One of Hogwarts Houses that values cleverness.
- Remus– Harry’ s former teacher Remus Lupin.
- Riddle– Tom Riddle, the Slytherin who became Lord Voldemort.
- Ronan– A centaur in the forbidden forest.
- Rufus– Rufus Scrimgeour, head of Auror Office, Minister of Magic.
- Salazar– founder of Slytherin house.
- Seamus– An Irish Gryffindor student, Seamus Finnigan.
- Sirius– Harry’s godfather, Sirius Black.
- Sturgis– Member of the order of Phoenix imprisoned in Azkaban, Sturgis Podmore.
- Walden– Committee of Disposal of Dangerous Creatures executioner, death eater, Walden Macnair.
- Wilkie– Wilkie Twycross is the apparition instructor.
- Yaxley– A death eater.
Girl cat names
Here are some Harry Potter cat names that sound as if they are suitable for a female cat.
Arabella– Arabella Figg is a member of the order of the phoenix.
Aurora– Professor and member of the Astronomy department, Aurora Sinistra.
Bell– Katie Bell is a Gryffindor student, one year above Harry Potter.
Bella– Bellatrix Lestrange is a cousin of Sirius Black and is also a death eater.
Bones– Amelia Bones is the head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.
Charity– Professor of Muggle Studies, Charity Burbage.
Emmeline– Emmeline Vance is a member of the order of the Phoenix.
Felix– Felix Felicis is a rare and difficult to make potion that gives the drinker good luck.
Fleur– Fleur Delacour is a French student who participated in the Triwizard tournament.
Fluffy– Hagrid’s 3-headed dog
Ginny– Ginny Weasely is a Gryffindor student, Quidditch Seeker and Chaser.
Griselda-Griselda Marchbanks is the governor of the Wizarding Examinations Authority.
Hermione– Hermione Granger is one of Harry’s best friends and also the founder of Dumbledore’s Army.
Hufflepuff– One of the houses of Hogwarts known for integrity and work ethic.
Irma– Hogwarts librarian, Irma Prince.
Lavender– Gryffindor student Lavender Brown who is Ron’s first girlfriend.
Lily– Harry’s mother lily Potter.
Luna– Luna Lovegood is a Ravenclaw student and member of Dumbledore’s Army.
Millie– A Slytherin student Millicent Bulstrode.
Minerva– Minerva McGonagall is the Transfiguration professor who can transform into a cat.
Molly– Mother of the Weasley clan, Molly Weasley.
Muggle– People without wizarding abilities.
Myrtle– The Ravenclaw student who haunted a girl’s bathroom. Also known as Moaning Myrtle.
Nimbus– Manufacturer of Harry’s broomstick.
Petunia– Harry’s aunt, Petunia Dursley.
Pixie– small magical creature
Poppy– Hogwarts school nurse, Poppy Pomfrey.
Ravenclaw-Hogwarts House that values cleverness.
Rita– Reporter for theDaily Prophet, Rita Skeeter.
Rose-daughter of Ron and Hermione.
Septima– Arithmancy Professor at Hogwarts, Septima Vector.
Squib– A term for someone born without magic into a wizarding family.
Tonks– Member of the Order of the phoenix with pink hair, Nymphadora Tonks.
Winky– female house elf who worked in the Hogwarts kitchen.
Magical Harry Potter creature cat names
Harry Potter series has plenty of magical creature with stunning names. Here are some of those names you might choose for your cat too.
- Aragog (giant spider)
- Bane (centaur)
- Bogrod (goblin)
- Crookshanks (cat)
- Dobby (house elf)
- Errol (owl)
- Fang (Hagrid’s dog)
- Fawkes (phoenix)
- Firenze (centaur)
- Fluffy (three headed dog)
- Grawp (giant)
- Griphook (goblin)
- Hedwig (Owl)
- Hokey (house elf)
- Nagini (giant snake)
- Pig (owl)
- Ronan (centaur)
- Scabbers (rat/ human)
- Trevor (toad)
- Winky (house elf)
Cat names inspired by spells
Harry Potter series has a bunch of bizarre sounding spells. These names can inspire you to name your cat after them.
- Alohomora– the spell used to unlock and open doors
- Caterwauling– this spell causes a loud, high-pitched shrieking noise when encountered.
- Colloportus– a spell used to magically lock a door and prevent it from being opened by non-magical means.
- Evanesco– vanishes objects.
- Finestra- shatters glass
- Imperio– one of the three unforgivable curses banned by the Ministry of magic, which removes the victim’s free will and ability to make decisions for him or herself.
- Impervius– causes objects to repel outside forces, such as water.
- Lumos– makes a beam of light to project from the user’s wand.
- Morsmordre– conjures the dark mark
- Muffliato– fills the ears of people nearby with an unidentifiable buzzing noise to prevent conversations from being overheard.
- Nebulus– this creates a swirling fog which is used by Dumbledore to stay undercover.
- Nox– a spell used to extinguish a wand for stealth.
- Protego– a shield charm which rebounds minor to moderate hexes, jinxes and spells upon the caster
- Rennervate– revives someone who has been stunned
- Revelio– a revealing spell
- Rictusempra– a tickling charm that causes an extreme tickling sensation which disables the victim
- Sectumsempra– causes deep gashes in the victim’s body
- Sonorous– magically magnifies one’s voice.
- Tergeo– used to remove matter such as dirt, blood etc. from an object.
Cat names inspired by Actors in Harry Potter films
Actors and actresses who have portrayed characters in Harry Potter films are considered as inspirations for cat names too. Here’s a list of such names.
- Radcliffe (Harry Potter)
- Rupert (Ron Weasley)
- Grint (Ron Weasley)
- Emma (Hermione Granger)
- Watson (Hermione Granger)
- Lewis (Neville Longbottom)
- Felton (Draco Malfoy)
- Bonnie (Ginny Weasley)
- Alfred (Dean Thomas)
- Evanna (Luna Lovegood)
- Pattinson (Cedric Diggory)
- Phelps (Fred Weasley)
- Rankin (Percy Weasley)
- Leung (Cho Chang)
- Devon (Seamus Finnigan)
- Afshan (Parvati Patil)
- Shefali (Parvati Patil)
- Freddie (Cormac McLaggen)
- Hero (Tom Riddle)
- Tiffin (Tom Riddle)
- Hugh (Colin Creevey)
- Tiana (Angelina Johnson)
- Georgina (Katie Bell)
- William (Nigel)
- Gemma (Penelope Clearwater)
- Eleanor (Susan Bones)
- Isabella (Leanne)
- Scarlett (Pansy Parkinson)
Fantastic beasts cat names
‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them’ is a book written as additional reading to the Harry Potter series. The names of some creatures in this series can make good cat names.
Check out if you’d like to use some for your cat.
Naming your cat can be a really serious, personal experience. So many inspirations can be derived from various sources to name your cat.
Harry Potter is a series of fantasy novels loved by millions in the world. These books have also had movies made out of them and also inspired a whole ‘Harry Potter’ culture.
Harry potter cat names can be really interesting as well as magical to name your cat with. If you are an ardent potter fan, you can choose a suitable name from the lists provided above.
Your cat’s personality can prompt you to name your cat accordingly using Harry potter cat names. If you want some more, try reading the books again and go down memory lane!
Interested learn about cat food high in fiber. Click here