Name a famous cat. There are so many famous cat characters in the world that have attracted attention of a lot of people. Many even name their own cats using these names.
Name a famous cat and you will be surprised as to how many exist in the world. Most of them happen to be from movies, dramas and books.
Real life famous cats also exist. Some can be famous because of their owners while others due to some of their deeds. Others may be famous due to their physical appearance or a special feature.
Whatever the reason may be, naming your cat using the name of a famous cat can be assisted in this article. Here are some famous cat names for you to consider.
Table of contents
- Famous cat characters
- Historically famous cats
- Other famous cats
- Famous cats in mythology
Famous cat characters
Naming your cat after a famous cat can help you to remember the time you enjoyed that particular character. Here are some popular cat characters.
- It is the lovable orange cat from the comic, animated cartoon and movie.
- This tabby cat was born in an Italian restaurant and developed a love for lasagna.
- Many Garfield toys were available too.
- Garfield is one of the most famous cat names.
2. Tom (from Tom and Jerry)
- The cartoon Tom and Jerry shows happenings between a cat, Tom and a mouse, Jerry.
- Tom tries to catch Jerry but fails while Jerry escapes every time leading to a comedy full of their antics.
3. Hello Kitty
- Hello Kitty is a worldwide phenomenon and has appeared on merchandise for 40 years.
- It is a sweet, cheerful character and was once a brand for young girls only.
- However, it is famous with teenagers and young adults now.
- Sanrio has converted Hello Kitty into a $5 billion brand.
- Tigger is the sweet, bouncing cat in Winnie the Pooh.
- Both kids and adults love this lanky built, sweet faced, orange and black striped tiger!
- It is now a household name, since the character has been a part of the series from the very beginning.
- This is the famous cat from Looney toons cartoons who chased Tweety Bird and also Speedy Gonzales and Hippety Hopper.
6. Felix the cat
- This cat has been famous for about 100 years now.
- It was created in the silent film era and was one of the most famous cats in the world.
- This cat is not only on the list of most popular cartoons, but also was ranked as one of the 50 greatest cartoon characters of all time in 2002.
- This is another big orange cat who first appeared on a comic strip and later moved on to a TV show and movie.
- In spite of his tough exterior look he is actually a good guy who is also a wise-cracking, street-smart cat.
- This is the main character of ‘The Lion King’.
- Simba is a cuddly lion cub who overcomes many hurdles and becomes the king.
- This is the partner of Simba who later becomes the queen in ‘The Lion King’.
- Nala is a sweet cat name especially suitable for cute kittens.
- Nermal is the nemesis of Garfield.
- Garfield tried to ship this pampered, bubbly grey cat to Abu Dhabi frequently, as he couldn’t stand him.
- This is an adorable, sweet cat from the Disney movie, Pinocchio.
- He is Geppetto’s and Pinocchio’s pet cat.
- This is an exotic famous cat name for your cat.
12. Puss in Boots
- This character joined the ‘Shrek’ sequel and was voiced by Antonio Banderas.
- Puss tries to restore his honor while being on the run from the law.
- The mischievous cat in the classic Disney movie, ‘That Darn Cat’.
- It is a story about bank robbers, a kidnapping and this frisky cat.
- This is the cat from the 1988 movie, ‘Oliver and company’.
- Oliver is a homeless cat who joins a group of dogs to survive on the streets.
- This is the devilish cat who antagonized Cinderella in the 1950 Disney movie.
- He looks evil with his jet black fur and toothy grin.
- An ideal name for a naughty cat!
- ‘The itchy and Scratchy show’ is about Itchy, the evil mouse and the hapless cat Scratchy.
- It is actually a show within a show within a show.
- In the TV show The Simpsons, the kids watch a show called ‘The Krusty the Clown Show’, which has a segment with Itchy and Scratchy.
17. Mr. Jinx
- There two famous cats by this name.
- One is from ‘Pixie and Dixie and Mr. Jinks’ on the television series ‘The Huckleberry Hound Show’ from 1958 to 1961.
- The other is the toilet trained, quirky cat from the movie ‘Meet the Parents’.
- This is the wise-cracking cat from ‘Sabrina the Teenage Witch’.
- This name is suitable for a black cat.
- This is a character from the goofy 90s cartoon ‘Ren and Stimpy’ on Nickelodeon.
- It is a little dim-witted cat with his tongue hanging out frequently.
- This is a funny famous cat name.
20. Cheshire cat
- The grinning cat from ‘Alice in Wonderland’.
- He has pink and purple markings and also the ability to disappear.
21. Si and Am
- The sinister Siamese cats in the movie ‘Lady and the Tramp’.
- These sneaky little cats love to cause trouble.
- The cat from the ‘80s movie ‘The Adventures of Milo and Otis’.
- This tells the tale of an orange tabby cat Milo, and a pug called Otis who get lost and try to make their way home.
- This is the cat from ‘Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey’.
- Sassy joins two cats in trying to find their owners, who they believe have abandoned them.
- It is a Himalayan cat with sibling-like relationship with an old golden retriever, Shadow and a young, immature American bulldog, Chance.
- Gargamel’s pet orange tabby from the Surfs cartoon.
25. Grumpy cat
- Although officially called Tardar Sauce, she quickly became grumpy cat due to her grouchy photo on the internet!
- The cat in ‘101 Dalmatians’, Sergeant Tibbs, who helped Pongo and Pedita rescue their pups.
27. Mr. Bigglesworth
- The sphynx cat who played Dr. Evil’s cat.
- One of the most famous cat film stars.
- He appeared in the films Rhubarb and Breakfast at Tiffany’s.
- The only double winner of the Patsy Award which is an award for animal stars.
Historically famous cats
Some cats have made it into history books by being daring explorers. Setting world records and even having political connections.
Let’s take a look at these historically famous cats.
- Chief Mouser
- The Prime Minister of UK has an official cat since 1515.
- There have been many cats in the role of Chief Mouser throughout these years.
- Larry, Sybil and Humphrey are the more recent ones.
2. Tabby and Dixie
- The 16th president of the United States, Abraham Lincoln had two cats named Tabby and Dixie.
- It is said that the president adored these cats who lived with him in the White House residence.
3. Mrs. Chippy
- A tabby cat who belonged to a resident of Sir Earnest Shackleton’s Endurance.
- It was actually the expedition’s carpenter, Harry ‘Chippy’ McNish’s male cat.
- The crew set sail in 1914 for the Antarctic, accompanied by this cat.
- However, the cat was killed shortly after the Endurance was abandoned as Shackleton did not believe he would survive.
- There is a life-size bronze statue on the carpenter’s grave.
4. Oscar (Unsinkable Sam)
- This cat is reported to have survived three major shipwrecks.
- Sam was rescued after each shipwreck, being found hanging on to a floating plank.
- He survived these shipwrecks between May and November of 1941 and lived the rest of his life on land in the UK.
5. Felicette- Space cat
- This was the first cat in space to reach space in 1963.
- She was sent by French scientists to find out how reduced gravity impacted animals.
- Felicette survived the space flight and is said to have been chosen due to her calm disposition.
- She saved her five kittens from a Brooklyn fire in 1996.
- All but one of Scarlett’s kittens survived and she also suffered burns.
- Thus she suffered health problems that were ongoing after the rescue mission.
Other famous cats
There are some other cats famed for various reasons all over the world. These are a few of them.
- The Mayor of Talkeetna, Stubbs
- Talkeetna is an Alaskan district with an orange tabby cat named Stubbs.
- The cat got this name after its stub tail and was unexpectedly elected as the Mayor of the district in July 1997.
- Voters felt that the human candidates were not good enough and Stubbs was the mayor of Talkeetna for 20 years till it passed in 2017.
2. Crème Puff
- This was a domestic cat living in Texas and was the oldest cat ever recorded.
- Crème Puff passed away in 2005 having lived for 38 years and 3 days!
- That’s what the Guinness World Records say anyway.
- This is the world’s richest cat who starts off as a stray and became a multi-millionaire.
- His owner left him a thirteen-million-dollar inheritance in 2011.
4. Colonel meow
- This cat has the Guinness World record for having the longest fur, which is 9 inches.
- Colonel Meow was also a big hit on YouTube.
5. Little Nicky
- This cat was the first commercially produced cat clone.
- The owner of a Maine coon who died in 2003 paid for it to be cloned.
- The DNA was obtained from this cat.
Famous cats in mythology
Mythology has so many cats and tales woven around them. Here are some of these cats and tales about them.
- Nekomata – A shape-shifting cat from the stories of Kamakura period in Japan.
- Bakeneko – A supernatural cat from Japanese legend.
- Cabbit – It’s a fictional cat-rabbit hybrid found in Japanese anime and Manga.
- Shisa – This is a lion-dog hybrid from Okinawa mythology.
- Dawon – One of the sacred tigers in Hindu mythology.
- Kilkenny cat – A fighting cat from Irish legend.
- Pard – Medieval bestiaries spotted feline.
- Wampus – A half-woman/half-cougar creature from Cherokee mythology.
- Manticore – A legendary creature with a human head on the body of a lion from Persian legend.
- Hombre Gato – according to South American folk tales, it is the feline version of the werewolf.
- Bastet – An Egyptian goddess with a woman’s body and a cat’s head.
In addition, there are tales of Freya the Norse goddess who rode a chariot pulled by cats. Ancient Chinese had stone statues of lions that were believed to be guardians.
Many Native American tribes also tell tales of the Aztecs with jaguars, regarding them as beautiful and terrifying all at once. There are some Hindu gods depicted riding tigers too.
Cats were held sacred in Egypt as agents of Bast, the motherly protector.
There are many famous cats in the world. They can be famous due to their movie, drama or cartoon characters or even because of what they have done.
Cats can also be famous due to their owners and their special features. To name a famous cat might not be easy as you think!
If you wish to name your cat after a famous one, the above details would help you in selecting a suitable name for your cat.
Remember it is up to you to select a proper name for your cat. After all, you will be the one calling your cat by that name for a long time!
You don’t really have to select any of these names if you don’t like them. Sometimes your own cat might choose a name for itself!
Be sure to keep it short and also not too controversial. You don’t want to get into any scraps because of a cat name, do you ?
Happy naming to you and remember to find a beautiful name for your fur ball!
Hey guys, want to learn about Tender Vittles. Click here